Cefpodoxime Tablets come under the brand name “DOXIJAB-200” and belong to the group of cephalosporin antibiotics used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections of the ear, nose, throat, lower respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin, and soft tissue. Bacterial infections are caused due to the multiplication of harmful bacteria inside or on the body. It does not work against infections caused by the virus, including colds and flu.
Cefpodoxime Tablets contain ‘Cefpodoxime’, which is a broad-spectrum antibiotic effective against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. It works by preventing the formation of bacterial cell covering (cell wall), which is necessary for their survival. Thereby, it kills the bacteria and helps in treating and preventing the spread of bacterial infections.
- It is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections of the ear, nose, throat, lower respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin, and soft tissue.
- It is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that is effective against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, aerobic and some anaerobic bacteria.
- Cefpodoxime Tablets works by preventing the formation of bacterial cell covering, which is necessary for their survival. Thereby, kills the bacteria and helps in treating and preventing the spread of infections.
Directions For Use
- Swallow it as a whole with water.
- Do not chew, break or crush the tablet.
- The dose and duration of this tablet can vary depending on your condition and the severity of the infection.
- Keep it away from sunlight.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- It may interact with diuretics (furosemide), blood thinner (warfarin), supplements (calcium/vitamin D), antacids (sodium bicarbonate, aluminium hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, and so on.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while taking Cefpodoxime Tablets as it might cause increased dizziness.
- This medicine passes into breast milk. Please consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- The use of this medicine is not recommended for children below 2 months. Consult your doctor before its intake.
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does it cause diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is the common side effect of this medicine. Drink lots of water and eat non-spicy food if you experience diarrhoea. If you observe blood in stools (tarry stools) or have severe diarrhoea (vomiting or watery stool), immediately consult your doctor. Do not take anti-diarrheal medicine on your own.
Can I stop taking this tablet on my own?
It is recommended to complete the course of this medicine even if you feel better as it is an antibiotic, and leaving it in between may lead to even severe infection that will, in fact, stop responding to the antibiotic as well (antibiotic-resistance).
Does it cause stomach upset?
This tablet may cause stomach upset as a side effect. To avoid this, take it preferably with food. Taking this tablet with food helps in increasing its absorption in the body.
Does it affect blood tests?
This composition may affect the results of urine tests for sugar and blood tests known as coomb’s test (antiglobulin test). It induces a positive direct Coombs test giving a false positive test. Therefore, inform the person performing the tests that you are taking this medicine.
Can I take antacids or antiulcer medicines with this tablet?
Do not take antacids and anti-ulcer medicines along with it. Try to maintain at least a gap of 2-3 hours between both. However, consult your doctor before taking other medicines with medicine.