Drotaverine and Mefenamic Acid Tablets come under the brand name “DOTY-MF” and is a combination medicine used to treat abdominal pain, muscle pain, migraine headache, functional bowel disorders, dysmenorrhea (menstrual cramps), heavy bleeding during periods, renal colic pain, and pain after surgery. Pain is a symptom triggered by the nervous system, causing uncomfortable sensations in the body. Muscle spasm is the sudden involuntary contractions of the muscle, which can be painful and uncomfortable.
Drotaverine and Mefenamic Acid Tablets are a combination of two drugs: Drotaverine (anti-spasmodic) and Mefenamic acid (NSAID). Drotaverine works by reducing calcium reuptake by the cells, thereby correcting the body’s calcium levels and relieving contractions associated with smooth muscles. Mefenamic acid works by blocking the effect of chemical messengers that cause pain and inflammation at the injured or damaged site. Together, this tablet helps in relieving pain.
- Drotaverine and Mefenamic Acid Tablets are used to treat abdominal pain, muscle pain, migraine headache, functional bowel disorders, dysmenorrhea (menstrual cramps), heavy bleeding during periods, renal colic pain, and pain after surgery.
- Drotaverine is an antispasmodic that reduces calcium reuptake by the cells, thereby correcting the calcium levels in the body and relieving contractions associated with smooth muscles.
- Mefenamic acid is an NSAID which works by blocking the effect of a chemical messenger in the body, known as cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes that make other chemical prostaglandins.
- Prostaglandins are produced at injury sites and cause pain and swelling. By blocking COX enzymes’ effect, lesser prostaglandins are produced, which reduces mild to moderate pain and inflammation at the injured or damaged site.
Directions For Use
- Take it with food to prevent stomach upset.
- Swallow tablets as a whole with a glass of water;
- Do not chew or break it.
- The dose and duration of this tablet can vary depending on your condition and the severity of the infection.
- Keep it away from sunlight.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Please consult your doctor if you have kidney impairment or any concerns regarding this. Your doctor will prescribe only if the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Consult your doctor before taking Drotaverine and Mefenamic Acid Tablets if you are breastfeeding/pregnant. Your doctor will prescribe only if the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this tablet as it may cause increased drowsiness. It can also increase the risk of stomach bleeding.
- It may interact with pain killers (aspirin, ibuprofen, celecoxib), anticoagulants (warfarin), anti-Parkinson’s (levodopa), immunosuppressants (cyclosporine, tacrolimus), anti-gout (probenecid), and many more drugs.
- Dry mouth
Frequenty Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does this tablet cause diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea might be a side-effect of this medicine. Drink enough fluids and eat non-spicy food if you experience diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if you experience severe diarrhoea or if you find blood in your stools.
How to cope with dry mouth?
Dry mouth could be a side-effect of this tablet. Limiting caffeine intake, avoiding smoking and mouthwashes containing alcohol, drinking water regularly, and chewing sugar-free gum/candy might stimulate saliva and prevent drying of the mouth.
Can I take it for longer durations?
Do not take this medicine for longer durations as it might increase the risk of heart problems and stomach bleeding. Take this tablet only for as long as your doctor has prescribed it.
Can I stop taking this composition if I feel well?
It is generally prescribed for short durations and can be discontinued after pain relief. However, you are advised to continue taking it for as long as your doctor has prescribed. Do not be reluctant to speak with your doctor if you feel any difficulty while taking it.
Is this medicine used to treat period pain?
It is used to treat dysmenorrhea (period pain), pain due to heavy bleeding during periods, and menstrual cramps. Take this medicine only as prescribed, and do not overdose.