Cefpodoxime and Ofloxacin Tablets come under the brand name “DOXIJAB-O” and belongs to the group of medicines called broad-spectrum antibiotic, which is used to treat bacterial infections of the lungs (pneumonia), sinus (sinusitis), bladder (cystitis), ear infections, etc. Bacterial infections are caused due to the multiplication of harmful bacteria inside or on the body. It does not work against infections caused by the virus, including cold and flu. Using antibiotics when it isn’t required can make it not work (develop antibiotic resistance) for future contaminations.
Cefpodoxime and Ofloxacin Tablets are a combination of two antibiotic drugs, namely: Ofloxacin and Cefpodoxime. Ofloxacin inhibits DNA gyrase which is required for the replication, transcription and repair of the DNA. Cefpodoxime works by preventing the formation of bacterial cell covering (cell wall), which is necessary for their survival. Thereby, it kills the bacteria (bactericidal) and helps treat and prevent the spread of bacterial infections. Together, these tablets helps in treating bacterial infections.
- It is used to treat bacterial infections like urinary tract infections, respiratory tract infections, sexually transmitted infections, soft tissue infection, ear and eye infections.
- Ofloxacin inhibits DNA gyrase which is required for the replication, transcription and repair of the DNA.
- Cefpodoxime inhibits protein synthesis and leads to cell death, thereby kills the bacteria.
- Cefpodoxime and Ofloxacin Tablets helps in treating bacterial infections.
- It is a broad-spectrum antibiotic effective against a wide range of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Directions For Use
- Swallow it as a whole with water.
- Do not chew, break or crush the tablet.
- The dose and duration of this tablet can vary depending upon your condition and the severity of the infection.
- Keep it away from sunlight.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Do not take Cefpodoxime and Ofloxacin Tablets if you have epilepsy or kidney problems.
- Maintain a minimum gap of two hours between this tablet and antacid, vitamin and mineral medicines.
- Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this tablet as it causes increased dizziness.
- It is not recommended for use in children.
- Tablet may have interaction with vitamin supplements (calcium/vitamin D), diuretic medication (furosemide), Pin killer (aspirin), and bronchodilators (albuterol).
- Pain in lower legs
- Loss of appetite
- Neck pain
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I take antacids with this tablet?
Avoid taking magnesium and aluminium-containing antacids along with it. Maintain a minimum gap of two hours between both.
Can I take this tablet on my own?
Do not take medicine on your own as self-medication may lead to antibiotic resistance in which antibiotics fail to act against specific bacterial infections.
Does it cause diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is the most reported common side effect of this tablet. So, it is advisable to drink lots of water and fluids and eat food rich in fibre if you experience diarrhoea. If you observe blood in stools (tarry stools) or experience excess diarrhoea (vomiting or watery stool), immediately consult your doctor. Do not take anti-diarrheal medicine on your own.
Does this tablet cause stomach upset?
It may cause stomach upset as a side effect. To avoid this, take the tablet preferably with food. Taking it with food helps in increasing its absorption in the body.
Can this tablet treat viral infections?
It is a broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections, it is not used for viral infections.
Is this composition habit-forming or addictive?
No, there is no evidence that it is addictive.